These classic sugar cookies are a hit for young and old and are super easy to roll, cut and bake. They bring you back to a simple time when things weren’t so fast paced. A time when you just slowed down a little and enjoyed the moment.
I remember as a young child it didn’t matter the occasion. If there was an occasion there were sugar cookies. My mom always had them ready when we walked in from school. While I love the look of royal icing, it changes the taste of sugar cookies and not for the better so I like to stick with basic granulated sugar on top.
If this is your first time or you are a cookie making machine, this recipe will be your go to from now on.
1 1/2 cups of salted butter (room temperature)
2 cups of granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 cups of all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1. Pre-heat oven to 350. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, mix together butter and sugar. Cream until smooth scraping the sides well.
2. Beat in the eggs and vanilla scraping the sides well.
3. Mix in the flour and baking powder.
There is no need to chill the dough if you want to make them right away. It is ready to roll 🙂
4. Roll out your dough on a floured surface (I roll about a 1/4 of the dough at a time). Roll to about 1/2 cm thick. Some people like them thicker (around 1cm) but I love them thinner. Either works.
5. Use cookie cutters of your choice to cut out your desired shapes. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Add sprinkles of your choice (BEFORE you bake them).
7. Bake in over for 8-10 minutes until the edges start to change a slight colour. Let cool completely before stacking.